|Dry red pepper||To taste|
|Non stick cooking spray|
This is another simple recipe to help everyone who’s on their fitfam quest. We all love some fried plantains. Dodo is amazing! It goes with everything. Indomie, Fried eggs, Rice…all kinds of rice!
I love dodo, but for some reason I don’t like frying food. Maybe, it’s because the oil tends to splash and make a mess. Maybe it’s because you have to be there and watch it the whole time it’s frying. Maybe it’s because there’s a good chance by the time you’re done frying, it might be cold or even worse, someone else might’ve been eating while you were frying. Mrs Naijachef though would rather not fry her plantains because it makes her feel good to keep her food healthy and not soak it in oil. So, how do we get around that you ask?
Prep Step 🙁
- Peel the plantain. If you’ve never peeled one before, I have a video that shows how here.
- Cover a baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Next, arrange your plantains on the tray. Sprinkle with some salt and dry red pepper and spray with the cooking spray again. This allows you to use less oil, but prevents the plantains from being too dry.
How to cook the plantains
- Turn on the broil setting on the oven. If you can control the temperature, set to 400F or 204C.
- Put the plantains in the middle rack in the oven and broil for 10 minutes. Put the plantains in immediately you turn on the oven. The plantains should look like the image below after ten minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn each plantain over. You can spray this side again before putting it back in the oven. Broil again for another 5 minutes.
And this is how we get around frying. We broil the plantains instead and use the oil spray to prevent the plantains from being dry. The rest goes by very fast.
You can eat this alone or as an accompaniment with several dishes. It is typically eaten with rice dishes.
Watch the video below to see the steps. Subscribe on YouTube to get regular updates for our latest videos!
If you try this recipe, tag us on Instagram or leave a comment below!