- 4 cups or 500g Premium wheat flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 cup Water
- 0.5 lb Ground Beef
- 2 Eggs (Large)
- 2 cups Carrots (cubed)
- 1 Onion (medium)
- 1 tsp Ginger (ground)
- 1 tbsp or 1 cube Knorr chicken bouillion seasoning
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- To taste (roughly 1/2 tsp) Salt
- 1-2 tbsp Crushed red pepper
- 2 cups Butter
I don’t really like baking mostly because there is usually a lot of prep time before stuff actually starts cooking. Adding ingredients and watching the cooking stuff evolve is what excites me! However, Mrs NaijaChef requested it and I of course had to oblige. She eats a very high fiber diet and encourages me to do so. So, I used Premium 100% whole wheat flour in this recipe.
The filling (Meaty goodness)
- Start cooking the ground beef (No oil needed) until it starts to brown. About 2-3 mins.
- Once the meat starts to cook (should change color from red to brown), add the ginger, Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper and Knorr seasoning. Cook another 5 mins to allow the meat season thoroughly. Stir continuously.
- Stir in the onions and carrots and cook for another 2 – 3 mins. (You can add the onions in the previous step if you want it to cook more)
Note: Depending on how lean your ground beef is, you will have some oils. I like to scoop most of this oil out leaving about 2tbsps to cook the onions and the carrots.
- Add the flour in a bowl with the baking powder with a pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly to ensure even distribution of the baking powder.
- Mix in the butter by rubbing the flour and butter together with the tips of your fingers. See this video. It is important to prevent the butter from melting and using the tips of your fingers, the coolest part of your hands help achieve this.
- Whisk 1 of the eggs and add into the flour along with 1 cup of water. You can combine using a dough mixer.
Note: When using regular flour, you don’t need to add an egg. I have just found that adding an egg works better with the wheat flour.
Assemble Le Meat Pie!
- Take about a quarter of the dough and roll out on a floured board taking care to not roll it out too thin or too thick. See image below.
- Use a circular shaped cutter to cut into the rolled dough. As you can see, I’m using a pyrex bowl as my cutter which is about 6 inches in diameter.
- Add the filling to the middle of the cut piece. Brush round the edges with a beaten egg or just water.
- Fold the dough over the filling and press the edges firmly together using a fork.
- Repeat till you have used up all the dough.
Baking Le Meat Pie!
- Line your baking tray with foil paper and spray with a non-stick cooking oil.
- Separate an egg white from its yolk and brush the top of all pies with the yolk (glazing).
- Bake the pies at 335F or 170C for 35 mins or until golden brown.