- 4 cups White Rice
- 1.5 tsps Salt
- 3 Bell peppers (Yellow, Red, Green/Orange)
- 2 cups Spring Onions (chopped)
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 cup or approx. 20 pieces Large Shrimp
- 2 tbsps Curry powder
- 3 cups Water
- 1.5 tbsps Chicken Knorr Bouillon seasoning
- 2 cups Mixed Vegetables
- 1tsp Dry ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Chicken stock
If you’re not Nigerian, you might find it curious, that Nigeria too has their version of fried rice. It’s actually not that strange. If you look at the numbers I mentioned in this post about alternatives to white rice, you’ll notice that Nigeria consumes copious amounts of rice. It is therefore no surprise, that Nigerian fried rice is a thing.
What makes Nigerian Fried Rice different?
There are a few differences to how Nigerian fried rice is prepared.
There are usually a lot of prep steps in making Nigerian fried rice as all the vegetables are fresh; carrots, peas, peppers etc. I don’t like prepping very much and so I cut out a lot of that. Here’s what I do:
Prep Steps 🙁
- Parboil the rice. This means to partially cook the rice. Cook the rice with 3 cups of water.
- Chop the bell peppers into cube sized pieces.
- Chop your spring onions and onion.
- Remove any scales and tails off your shrimp.
- I buy a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, and that saves a ton of time. It has carrots, green beans, corn and peas.
- Your rice should be ready (partially cooked) now. Rinse in cold water, drain and set aside.
Now that all the ingredients are ready, let’s get to combining everything.
Nigerian fried rice
- In a pot, turn the heat on high, and add your 1/4 cup of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the spring onions, onions and spices.
- Add all the vegetables and shrimp. You should have everything in together at this point, except the rice. Let everything cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the rice(it is only half cooked at this point), and stir to evenly distribute into the vegetables.
- Add in the 1 cup of chicken stock.This is key to adding flavor. The rice needs to cook in this stock.
- Cover and let it cook for about 15 minutes, or till the rice is cooked through.
This next step is key!
Note: You can prepare your own chicken stock in advance.
Please leave any questions,comments below and share! Enjoy!