Imagine coming down early in the morning, while it’s still dark out, and your spouse is sitting at the table with a candle and a plate of spooky poundo and egusi, saying “Good morning darling! Breakfast is ready!”
Thankfully, that is not my story, but those little chills that crept up your spine as you read? Totally worth it 🙂
What I didn’t mention, that also happened as Mrs NaijaChef talked to me about doing posts for halloween, and Creepy Akara specifically, is that she also mentioned Spooky Poundo! So, luckily for me, when I came down that morning and there was a plate of spooky poundo and egusi sitting on the kitchen counter, it was already bright out, and I knew something like that was in the works.
Would like to re-create this for halloween? Let’s break it down for you.
What you will need:
- Ready-made pounded yam
- Some ready made efo egusi
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- A plastic mold for the spooky poundo head
- Plastic cling wrap
- Prepare your poundo as shown here.
- Cover your mold with cling wrap. This ensures that the poundo does not stick to the mold. Pile on the poundo.
- Let the poundo head stand on its ‘neck.’
- Cut a slit for the mouth.
- Arrange a trail of egusi from the mouth down the plate, with the trail getting wider as you go along.
- Finally, stuff the lobes with cherry tomatoes for the eyes!
All Done! Watch the video below to see the steps in action. Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
If you try to recreate this, or serve this in your restaurant for halloween, please tag us and let us know on social media, or send us a note! Happy trick-or-treating!