|Brown Basmati Rice||2.5 cups|
|Mixed Vegetables||2 cups|
|Sunflower oil||1/4 cup|
|Curry powder||1 tsp|
|Salt (I prefer Iodized sea salt)||2 tsps|
|Chicken Bouillon Seasoning||1 tbsp|
|Cajun Seasoning||1 tsp|
|Ground dry red pepper (optional)||1 tsp|
Honestly, I have tried to switch away from eating white rice. I have given it my best shot. I have even tried to convince myself that it tastes good. But…I failed. I buy this Imperial Dragon Jasmine Rice from Walmart that has me. That stuff is soooo good. The saying “All you need in this life is rice and stew” was never truer. For those of you who just can’t stand brown rice, I am here to stand with you, that stuff does not taste good. Mrs NaijaChef begs to differ. Remember I mentioned here that she was the one who got me to start trying to eat healthy and think about what I eat? Yea, she loves her some brown rice.
I bet at this point you’re wondering, “why is he extolling the virtues of white Jasmine rice, when he’s posting a recipe for brown rice?” Well, here’s the thing, healthy stuff usually doesn’t taste good unless you cook it good 🙂 It’s really that simple. What I discovered is this: brown rice and stew for me is a no-no, but when I use brown rice in fried rice, it is absolutely amazing. I promise, if you gave up on ever eating brown rice, this will make you change your mind. You have to try this!
Prep Steps 🙁
- I usually start off cooking this rice in a rice cooker. Remember to wash the rice first, as brown rice can tend to be dirty. Put the 2 cups of rice, 1 tsp salt, and 4 cups of water in a rice cooker, or on a stove till the water is dry.
- Dice the medium onion.
- If you buy the shrimp frozen, toss them into warm water and pull of the tails.
Note: Ensure it has more then 4% fibre or you might as well be enjoying white rice.
Assembling the fried rice!
- Add in the 1/4 cup oil and let it heat up. I have found that using a Wok and cooking on high heat is best for fried rice.
- Once the oil is getting hot, add in the onions, and a few seconds later, toss in the shrimp, curry powder, cajun seasoning, bouillon seasoning and the pepper if you wish to add. Cook for about 2-3 mins.
- Add in the mixed vegetables, and let everything cook for about another 5-7 mins while stirring continuously.
- By now, the rice should be about done. Turn the heat down, and add in the brown rice gradually, all the while stirring continuously.
Very simple and tasty! This pairs very well with any meat, dodo and a salad (for Nigerian meals, usually cole-slaw, using the Heinz salad cream).
Watch the video below to see the steps. If you try this recipe, tag us on Instagram or leave a comment below!