|Meat/Seafood (Combination of Shrimp, Tripe, Rabbit, Chicken gizzards & hearts)||4 lbs|
|Curry powder||1/2 tbsp|
|Ground crayfish||1/2 tbsp|
|Iru/Locust beans||1 tbsp|
|Knorr bouillon||1 tbsp or 3 cubes|
|Vegetable or Palm Oil||1/2 cup|
|Dry Fish (Eja Sawa/Roasted herring)||1 cup|
Ila Alasepo is one of those one pot dishes. Mrs NaijaChef has made me really fall in love with okro. All the times I’ve made Ila Alasepo, it never lasts more than 2 days between the two of us, which is interesting considering I cook a big pot of it every time.
The name Ila Alasepo is Yoruba. It literally translates to “Okro where everything is cooked together”. Usually when Okro is cooked alone, it is served with stew and meats. With Ila Alasepo, everything is all cooked together.
Okro Nutrition Facts
Before we go into the steps, there is a myth I need to dispel. I have heard from several people that Okro is fattening. 1 cup of okra has 0.2g of fat which is literally nothing. Of your recommended daily value, 1 cup of okro contains the following:
- Vitamin C: 38%
- Vitamin A: 14%
- Vitamin B-6: 10%
- Magnesium: 14%
- Potassium: 8%
- Calcium: 8%
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s get into making Ila Alasepo.
|Roma Tomatoes||6 medium or 1.5 cups diced|
|Red Bell Pepper||1|
|Habaneros/Scotch Bonnet Peppers/Ata rodo||2|
- Make the pepper sauce. Clean the tomatoes and peppers and blend together. Do not blend to a fine consistency.
- Season and grill/bake or ‘boil’ any meats you’re using. For tips on baking meat, check out this post.
- Roughly blend 1/2 the okro. Use the lowest setting on your blender. If you use frozen okro, let it defrost before blending. I usually use frozen Pictsweet cut okra
Note: As opposed to the tomato sauce, we do not use any onions in this blend. Onions reduce the mucilaginous(slimy) properties of okro.
Making the Ila Alasepo
- Start by cooking the pepper sauce in the oil. Add in the salt, curry, knorr and Iru. Cook for about 15 mins in low – medium heat. Here’s my rule, if the sauce is splashing, the heat is too high.
- Add in the ground crayfish and dry fish. Cook for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Add in all the meat and seafood. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, add in all the okro; both the blended and the cut okra. Mix it all in and let it cook till it starts to bubble, and you’re done!
Enjoy! Leave a comment below, and share this recipe with your friends.
If you try this recipe, tag us on Instagram.